What is a Victim Impact Panel?
A Victim Impact Panel ("VIP") program is an educational program designed to help DUI offenders understand the ramifications of substance-impaired driving. It seeks to leave a permanent understanding of the impact that impaired driving can, and all too often does have on family, friends, loved ones and the public in hopes of encouraging changes in behavior preventing future offenses.
The panelists have personal experience which allows them to relate to the audience while sharing their first-hand experience about how a DUI accident impacted them and their lives.
The Victim Impact Panels are held in the Incline Justice Court courtroom and are sponsored by the Tahoe DUI Awareness Program ("TDAP").
Following is the schedule for upcoming VIPs:
February 4, 2020 at 5:30p
May 5, 2020 at 5:30p
August 4, 2020 at 5:30p
November 3, 2020 at 5:30p
The Tahoe DUI Awareness Program is looking for potential VIP Panelists to share their stories. Panelists help the community by sharing their experience from being a victim of a DUI offender, by touching the DUI offender on an emotional level in hopes that the offender will not drive impaired again.
A VIP Panelist may have been involved in a collision involving a drunk driver, or a friend or family member of a DUI offender, or a friend or family member of a victim of an DUI offender. The Tahoe DUI Awareness Program would appreciate your presence and sharing of your story at an upcoming next Victim Impact Panel. Interested? Please call the Incline Village Constable’s Office at 775-832-4103 and ask for Constable Keller regarding being a VIP Panelist.
Rules for Attending
The following rules apply to attending the VIP:
- The cost to you for the program is $25. Payment is due at the time of the program by Cash, Money Order or Cashier’s Check only made payable to “Tahoe DUI Awareness Program.”
- A Photo ID is required (Driver’s License, Passport or Government Issued ID).
- You are to appear drug and alcohol free and you are subject to search and seizure. You may be asked to take a breathalyzer test, drug test or other field sobriety tests for entry into the VIP.
- Failure to appear alcohol and drug free may result in non-admittance, additional fines, fees, time community service or arrest and result in a forfeiture of your fees. All violations of this rule will be reported to the Judge.
- No eating, drinking, sleeping, reading, talking, texting, etc is allowed during the Panel.
- Please sign in CLEARLY, we cannot verify your attendance if we cannot read your name
- No persons will be admitted after the Panel begins, nor allowed to leave during the Panel Presentation.
- Please remove all hats, hoods, & sunglasses.
- Disruptive behavior will not be tolerated
- Please turn off all cell phones, pagers and all electronic devices
- Relatives and guests may be asked to wait outside during the session; they will be let in ONLY if space permits
- VIP AGENDA: All Panels last about 1-2 hours. Please use the restroom before entering. You will check in, pay the fee and participate with the presentation.
- Arguments with volunteers and/or staff over guidelines or ejections will be reported to probation/court.
- TDAP reserves the right to deny entry and/or to remove you from the course if these or any other guidelines not listed are not met without any refund.